Update: Kijiji Facilitates Dog Fighting 2017-09-26
More than three and a half years later and Kijiji's position on pet sales is still offensive. They now have a specific Why Does Kijiji Have a Pets Category? page just to explain why they still insist on allowing douchebags like puppy mills post ads for pets. The only thing they have done to try to keep animal abusers from posting pets for sale is to start charging a fee for pet posts. :-(
Kijiji Facilitates Dog Fighting 2014-01-11
As long as Kijiji continues to allow animals to be listed, people will continue to use it as a service to fuel dog fighting rings. Kijiji (eBay's free-ish little sister) has plenty of messages in its support forums about pet listings... there is a constant parade of bickering between breeders, people who love animals, and Kijiji losers who love the added advertising revenue from pet listings. Here are some of the items that are not allowed to be posted on Kijiji:
Adult or Erotic Products and Services
Blood, Bodily Fluids and Body Parts
Car seats manufactured prior to January 1st, 2012
Escort or accompanying services
Government and Transit Uniforms, IDs and Licenses
Health or weight loss products that have not been approved by Health Canada
Fireworks, Destructive Devices and Explosives
Massage Service ads posted by anyone who is not a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) and who is unable to provide insurance receipts for customers
Massage Service ads with full body photographs. Photographs are to be limited to head shots or photographs of the facility; no full body images
Pesticides Tobacco and Related Items
Tobacco Products or other smoking related items (hookahs, e-cigarettes, herbal blends etc.)
There is also a note stating that
Users must be at least 16 to post ads on their own. Ads for our younger users must be posted by an adult for security reasons.
When I saw this ad it was pretty clear that this was someone looking to get dogs for dog fighting. Here's the content of the ad in case you don't want to click on the link:
My boyfriend and i are looking to take on a new family member. We dont have alot of money to spend as we just recently put down our last pup :( so we were looking for a free puppy. We wanted a medium size dog large enough for me to feel comfortable at home alone with the dog as my boyfriend and I have different work schedules(the company is needed) We love boxers and pitbull mixes, american bulldogs and am staffs. We live in ottawa and preferred if you were driving distance away as we can pick him up. Quebec is ok. As far as Gatineau. Thank you for your time and please dont hesitate to email or text me with details and pictures!! :)
What are the clues that this is someone looking for animals for dog fighting?
- They are posting an ad that they are looking for a dog: Seriously there are shitloads of dogs available on Kijiji... currently they have over 30 dogs listed in our region as being free and if you are willing to pay a few bucks there are tons of dogs. This is like posting an ad in Canada that you are looking for snow.
- It is supposedly written by a girl and her boyfriend: this is about as non-suspicious as you can get eh? It works much better than "Two guys with shaved heads and full-sleeve tattoos looking for dogs. Have unmarked white van, will pickup".
- They don't have a lot of money: if you can't afford $300 for a dog then how are you going to be able to afford to feed it? Oh wait, if it is a dog fighting ring they won't need to feed it... because it'll be dead soon.
- They just put down their last pup: Seriously? Why would you have to put down a pup? Even if they mean "we put down our adult dog" why the fuck would they feel the need to post it in a Kijiji ad? People who just had their dog put down do not want to talk about it publicly, people who run a dog fighting ring see dead dogs often enough that they are comfortable talking about dead dogs publicly.
- They want a medium sized dog such as "boxers and pitbull mixes, american bulldogs and am staffs": Don't those sound generally like good dogs for fighting?
- They live in Ottawa but don't have any problem with driving to Quebec (the land of puppy mills) to get a dog.
So... let me get this straight, "used cosmetics" is enough of a danger to be specifically
listed as a forbidden item on Kijiji but they couldn't put animals on the list? Dildos are somehow less acceptable than
dog fighting rings collecting pets? Hell if they wanted they could specifically allow livestock but not pets. The
battle in their forums has literally been going on for years now and Kijiji has never done a thing about it... why?
Because the more classified ads they have, the more classified ads you see. And the more classified ads you see, the
more "banner ads" you see. And the more banners you look at - the more money
eBay Kijiji makes. Cocks.